There is a plethora of different types of substance abuse and/ or addiction treatment programs available, which can make the selection process seem like a daunting task. The easiest way to choose the right rehab center is to consider your own personal needs and obtain clarity surrounding the various options available. Be mindful of and make sure any potential rehab center can accommodate your needs regarding the following:
- Service setting: consider which type of treatment may be the best fit such as residential inpatient treatment or outpatient treatment.
- Are you comfortable with a co-ed program?
- Duration of program: the duration of a treatment program can range from fourteen days to three months, or longer. How long would your ideal treatment program last?
- Cost: most treatment centers have fees associated with their attendance. Some rehabs take insurance as a form of payment while others do not. Make sure you are privy to the costs associated as well as your personal medical insurance benefits (if applicable) prior to committing to a treatment program.
- Geographical location: where is the location of the treatment center and does your situation allow for you to either commute there or reside there?
- What is the overall therapeutic philosophy and methodology, and what types of treatment modalities are used in the treatment plans in your program? A high-quality rehab program should employ a range of psychotherapeutic modalities to create a tailored treatment program that focuses on each of the nuanced needs of its participants. Some of the therapeutic modalities that are frequently used in customized treatment plans could include but are not limited to cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), expressive arts therapies, narrative therapy, existential therapy, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), relational therapy, group therapy, and more.
- What is the level of licensure clinical staff members, group leaders, and residential staff members hold? Find out the accreditation of the facility itself as well as the clinical staff.
- Does family play a role in treatment? If so, what? Depending on your preference, this answer can help you decide if the program offers too much family inclusion, not enough, or an amount that feels comfortable to you.
- Aftercare network: it is common practice for a treatment program to create an aftercare plan with its participants prior to one’s completion of the program. Inquiring about the aftercare network of rehab program and being aware of its presence prior to one’s completion can be helpful in the subsequent transition process.
It is important to conduct due diligence when choosing a rehab program that will best suit your needs. Certain aspects such as service setting, duration of the program, cost, living quarters, dual diagnoses/ specialized rehabs, geographical location of the program, and aftercare network should all be considered when selecting a treatment center.
For Information and Support
Substance abuse and addiction can be incredibly dangerous and can result in severe short and long-term consequences. If you or someone you know is suffering from substance abuse or addiction, please get help as soon as possible. The earlier you seek support, the sooner you and your loved ones can return to leading happy, healthy, and fulfilling lives. There is no reason to go through this alone, and we are here to help. Please feel free to reach out to us for further information or with any questions regarding substance abuse or addiction. We are available anytime via telephone at: 213-389-9964, or you can always email us at: email@example.com.